Eilean Donan is a small tidal island where three lochs meet, Loch Duich, Loch Long and Loch Alsh, in the western Highlands of Scotland. A picturesque castle that frequently appears in photographs, film and television dominates the island, which lies about 1 kilometre (0.62 mi) from the village of Dornie. Since the castle’s restoration in the early 20th century, a footbridge has connected the island to the mainland.
Eilean Donan is part of the Kintail National Scenic Area, one of 40 in Scotland. In 2001, the island had a recorded population of just one person, but there were no “usual residents” at the time of the 2011 census.
Eilean Donan, which means simply “island of Donnán”, is named after Donnán of Eigg, a Celtic saint martyred in 617. Donnán is said to have established a church on the island, though no trace of this remains.
The castle was founded in the thirteenth century, and became a stronghold of the Clan Mackenzie and their allies the Clan Macrae. In the early eighteenth century, the Mackenzies’ involvement in the Jacobite rebellions led in 1719 to the castle’s destruction by government ships. Lieutenant-Colonel John Macrae-Gilstrap’s twentieth-century reconstruction of the ruins produced the present buildings.
Facebook Comments Master
- Free Download DJI colour grading LUTs for phantom, inspire, mavic
- Iceland waterfall Dettifoss
- Powerplant IM Belgium
- Severalls Asylum – The Red Chair
- Kelpies Helix Park and Falkirk Wheel Stirling Scotland
- Culzean Castle Ayrshire DJI Phantom 3 Standard
- Talgarth Asylum – Star Wars Cantina
- DJI Mavic Pro Pocket sized drone shipping early December
- Cuillins Isle of Skye Waterfall
- Château de Noisy abandoned castle
- Death Valley highway night
- Gloucester Cathedral Hogwarts Cloister
- Selfies Across America Road Trip
- Lillesden school for girls – mirror mirror
- Isle of Skye best photography locations map
- Glasgow City rooftop skyline at night
- Devils Pulpit Finnich Glen near Glasgow Scotland
- Bull Manor Furhouse Library
- Sunset at Arthurs Seat Edinburgh
- Abandoned Crypts Belgium