Eilean Donan is a small tidal island where three lochs meet, Loch Duich, Loch Long and Loch Alsh, in the western Highlands of Scotland. A picturesque castle that frequently appears in photographs, film and television dominates the island, which lies about 1 kilometre (0.62 mi) from the village of Dornie. Since the castle’s restoration in the early 20th century, a footbridge has connected the island to the mainland.
Eilean Donan is part of the Kintail National Scenic Area, one of 40 in Scotland. In 2001, the island had a recorded population of just one person, but there were no “usual residents” at the time of the 2011 census.
Eilean Donan, which means simply “island of Donnán”, is named after Donnán of Eigg, a Celtic saint martyred in 617. Donnán is said to have established a church on the island, though no trace of this remains.
The castle was founded in the thirteenth century, and became a stronghold of the Clan Mackenzie and their allies the Clan Macrae. In the early eighteenth century, the Mackenzies’ involvement in the Jacobite rebellions led in 1719 to the castle’s destruction by government ships. Lieutenant-Colonel John Macrae-Gilstrap’s twentieth-century reconstruction of the ruins produced the present buildings.
Facebook Comments Master
- Free Download DJI colour grading LUTs for phantom, inspire, mavic
- Iceland waterfall Dettifoss
- Powerplant IM Belgium
- Severalls Asylum – The Red Chair
- Talgarth Asylum – Star Wars Cantina
- Culzean Castle Ayrshire DJI Phantom 3 Standard
- Château de Noisy abandoned castle
- Kelpies Helix Park and Falkirk Wheel Stirling Scotland
- Glasgow City rooftop skyline at night
- Cuillins Isle of Skye Waterfall
- Death Valley highway night
- DJI Mavic Pro Pocket sized drone shipping early December
- Gloucester Cathedral Hogwarts Cloister
- Lillesden school for girls – mirror mirror
- Sunset at Arthurs Seat Edinburgh
- Selfies Across America Road Trip
- Devils Pulpit Finnich Glen near Glasgow Scotland
- Bull Manor Furhouse Library
- Isle of Skye best photography locations map
- Devils pulpit Scotland
- Australia Photography Road trip Milky Way Sydney Ayers rock Uluru Outback Melbourne Coober Pedy
- Mayfield Lavender Fields Banstead Surrey near South London
- Creepy abandoned theme park with roller coaster, ghost train, water slide | Abandoned UK
- The Devils Pulpit outlander location Finnich Glen Glasgow 70ft deep Gorge
- Abandoned places Lincoln County Looney Bin Abandoned St Johns hospital