When a few years back I started shooting film again one of the first things that surprised me when using Photoshop to tidy up my film scanned photos was that I noticed there was very little to be had through sharpening. Unlike digital photos film is as sharp as a pin to begin with if you have good lenses.
Even with my Nikon D800 and the Nikkor 14-24mm f2.8 (one of the sharpest lenses) you can still gain a huge amount through sharpening. Or also take a cheaper lens like the Samyang 14mm Ultra-Wide, apply some basic sharpening through Photoshop and your images can easily look just as sharp as the Nikkor 14-24mm.
If like me you put your work on social media like Facebook you will find that Facebook compresses your photos a lot. So with Facebook I will sharpen my images a little more when uploading to there and I find that works best.
So whats the best way to sharpen photos?
Theres actually a number of ways you can sharpen photos and as with pretty much everything you do within Photoshop theres always many ways to do that within Photoshop.
But the one which I tend to use the most and find produces the best results is Freaky Amazing Details. FAD, is one of the more complex ways but it’s well worth learning as does yield some great results. Check the video below to see how it’s done.
Facebook Comments Master
- Free Download DJI colour grading LUTs for phantom, inspire, mavic
- Iceland waterfall Dettifoss
- Powerplant IM Belgium
- Severalls Asylum – The Red Chair
- Talgarth Asylum – Star Wars Cantina
- Culzean Castle Ayrshire DJI Phantom 3 Standard
- Château de Noisy abandoned castle
- Kelpies Helix Park and Falkirk Wheel Stirling Scotland
- Glasgow City rooftop skyline at night
- Cuillins Isle of Skye Waterfall
- Death Valley highway night
- DJI Mavic Pro Pocket sized drone shipping early December
- Gloucester Cathedral Hogwarts Cloister
- Lillesden school for girls – mirror mirror
- Sunset at Arthurs Seat Edinburgh
- Selfies Across America Road Trip
- Devils Pulpit Finnich Glen near Glasgow Scotland
- Bull Manor Furhouse Library
- Isle of Skye best photography locations map
- Devils pulpit Scotland
- Belgium Urbex Maison Radio sad abandoned house with wedding photo and collection of radios
- Australia Photography Road trip Milky Way Sydney Ayers rock Uluru Outback Melbourne Coober Pedy
- Mayfield Lavender Fields Banstead Surrey near South London
- Creepy abandoned theme park with roller coaster, ghost train, water slide | Abandoned UK
- The Devils Pulpit outlander location Finnich Glen Glasgow 70ft deep Gorge