A few months ago I purchased a DJI phantom Standard 3 drone and within the first week of ownership I suffered a flyaway. The drone went up to about 20 meters and then darted full pelt away from me being unresponsive to the controller. I half expected it to return so I was torn between jumping in my car to give chase or stay at the take off location to await its return. I choose to stay at the take off location.. but he never came back.
3 months later I’ve decided to purchase another DJI phantom 3 standard as I’m really missing having a drone and the price has come down another £100. But this time Im going to take precautions for recovering my drone after a flyaway.
For a cost of about £45 these are the items Ive picked up. Which is a good investment and piece of mind when flying your drone.
First line of defence is having your phone number on your drone so any one who finds it can easily contact you its a good idea to have reward on your drone to encourage people to call you. I purchased two stickers and placed one on the drone and another on the battery.
Next I purchased a micro GPS tracking device the NANO TK102. You can buy this very cheap from £10 but I went with the more expensive one that comes with a 2G sim card already included and 1 year subscription to their live monitoring website. With the included bundle I paid £32.
Then you are also going to need to attach the tracking device securely to you DJI phantom drone, last thing you want is to lose your drone and then find the tracking device sitting in a field with the drone nowhere to be seen. Fortunately you can pick up a purpose made TK102 holder to fit your DJI phantom.
Safe flying and I hope this helps you recovering your drone after a flyaway!
Facebook Comments Master
- Free Download DJI colour grading LUTs for phantom, inspire, mavic
- Iceland waterfall Dettifoss
- Powerplant IM Belgium
- Severalls Asylum – The Red Chair
- Talgarth Asylum – Star Wars Cantina
- Culzean Castle Ayrshire DJI Phantom 3 Standard
- Kelpies Helix Park and Falkirk Wheel Stirling Scotland
- Château de Noisy abandoned castle
- Cuillins Isle of Skye Waterfall
- DJI Mavic Pro Pocket sized drone shipping early December
- Death Valley highway night
- Glasgow City rooftop skyline at night
- Gloucester Cathedral Hogwarts Cloister
- Lillesden school for girls – mirror mirror
- Selfies Across America Road Trip
- Devils Pulpit Finnich Glen near Glasgow Scotland
- Isle of Skye best photography locations map
- Sunset at Arthurs Seat Edinburgh
- Bull Manor Furhouse Library
- Chernobyl This used to be a fun place