Devils Pulpit in Stirling just North of Glasgow is an interesting place to photography. It’s a 100 feet deep gorge and the water looks like it runs red, I think this to something to do with the rock formation there as the water picks it up and gives the look as it’s running a very dark red.
I’ve visited a couple of times now and to get the best shots you really need to wade up through the river. So I would recommend some waders or swimming shoes as the ground is pretty rocky.
There is a large stone set in the middle which is the pulpit which rumour has it was used for sacrificing upon.. animals or people I don’t know, truth or rumour I don’t know.
There is easy parking on the road Drymen on the A809 very close to the small bridge and path that leads to the Devils Pulpit and if your going to photograph the location don’t worry about sunset and sunrise as you are set down within the gorge you won’t benefit from the light. Best time is during the day so it is bright I would recommend an ND filter to slow your shutter speeds down to get some nice flowing long exposure water effects but failing that a small aperture i.e. f22 and lowest ISO would be the way to go.
The location has been used in some TV programmes its a little tricky to get down to the river as its a very steep drop down and some makeshift stairs and rope have been placed there which does help. Sometimes it does get busy here so I would best avoid weekends if the sun is shinning. But well worth a visit.
Devils Pulpit Finnich Glen Location 56.033850, -4.414297
Facebook Comments Master
- Free Download DJI colour grading LUTs for phantom, inspire, mavic
- Iceland waterfall Dettifoss
- Powerplant IM Belgium
- Severalls Asylum – The Red Chair
- Kelpies Helix Park and Falkirk Wheel Stirling Scotland
- Talgarth Asylum – Star Wars Cantina
- Cuillins Isle of Skye Waterfall
- DJI Mavic Pro Pocket sized drone shipping early December
- Culzean Castle Ayrshire DJI Phantom 3 Standard
- Château de Noisy abandoned castle
- Gloucester Cathedral Hogwarts Cloister
- Lillesden school for girls – mirror mirror
- Selfies Across America Road Trip
- Death Valley highway night
- Isle of Skye best photography locations map
- Devils Pulpit Finnich Glen near Glasgow Scotland
- Glasgow City rooftop skyline at night
- Bull Manor Furhouse Library
- Chernobyl This used to be a fun place
- Abandoned Crypts Belgium