Abandoned Hospital the Cambridge Military Hospital

Urban decay and peeling paint. The Cambridge Military Hospital opened its doors to patients in 1879. The name Cambridge came from His Royal Highness The Duke of Cambridge who was the Commander-in-Chief of the Army at the time. The hospital was built on a hill because current clinical thinking at the time thought that the wind would sweep away any infection and clean the air. The CMH was famed for its supposedly mile long corridor, with self contained wards and rooms branching off on either side.

It was hoped that this design would reduce cross infection. The Louise Margaret Hospital opened in 1898 and eventually changed its name and purpose in 1958 to become the Louise Margaret Maternity Hospital, caring solely for mothers and babies. The CMH was used throughout its years to house casualties from the majority of the wars this country has seen; from the first world war upto the first gulf war. The Cambridge Military Hospital closed down in 1996. Many factors were given as the reason for its closure; cost to maintain, efficiency and asbestos were among them.

Cambridge Military Hospital
Cambridge Military Hospital
LLMH - Theatre Corridor
LLMH – Theatre Corridor
LLMH - Blackout
LLMH – Blackout

LMMH - Switch
LMMH – Switch
LMMH - Peeling Paint and open doors
LMMH – Peeling Paint and open doors
LMMH - The lights are on
LMMH – The lights are on

lmmh - peeltastic with correction
lmmh – peeltastic with correction
CMH - Hospital
CMH – Hospital
CMH - Lonely Ward
CMH – Lonely Ward

Louise Margaret Maternity Hospital - Bathroom
Louise Margaret Maternity Hospital – Bathroom
LMMH - Peeling Paint
LMMH – Peeling Paint
Louise Margaret Maternity Hospital - The Bleeding Doors
Louise Margaret Maternity Hospital – The Bleeding Doors

Cambridge Military Hospital - Corridor Lamps
Cambridge Military Hospital – Corridor Lamps
CMH - Admin Corridor
CMH – Admin Corridor
CMH - Hospital
CMH – Hospital

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...