abandoned

Non Plus Ultra Sammezzano Castle

Sammezzano, or the Castle of Sammezzano, is an Italian palazzo in Tuscany notable for its Moorish Revival architectural style.

The original palazzo was erected in about 1605 by the Spanish nobleman, Ximenes of Aragon. In the 19th century, Ferdinand Panciatichi Ximenes inherited the property and, between 1853 and 1889, remodeled it into one of the largest examples of Moorish Revival architecture. Umberto I, king of Italy, visited Ximenes at Sammezzano in 1878.

The palazzo served as a luxury hotel in the post WWII era, then was vacated and closed. A committee called FPXA 1813-2013, acronym for Ferdinand Panciatichi Ximenes d’Aragon, was organized in 2012 to attempt to restore and preserve the palazzo, which has 365 rooms, each with unique, Moorish decoration.

Abandoned since the 1990s, after plans to transform it into a luxury hotel fell through.

Sammezzano Castle
Sammezzano Castle

Abandoned House Of Sisters

House Of Sisters
House Of Sisters

Regarded as the most austere women’s orders of the Roman Catholic church, being devoted to prayer, penance, contemplation, manual work and adopting the strictest enclosure, severe fasts, and other austerities it also meant that they would never leave the convent once they have taken their vows to enter their days would be spent in prayer and working the land in order to provide for them selves a total life of silence and solitude with no contact with the outside world.

House Of Sisters
House Of Sisters
House Of Sisters
House Of Sisters
House Of Sisters
House Of Sisters
House Of Sisters
House Of Sisters
House Of Sisters
House Of Sisters
House Of Sisters
House Of Sisters
House Of Sisters
House Of Sisters
House Of Sisters
House Of Sisters
House Of Sisters
House Of Sisters

Whittingham Asylum Urbex

The hospital was founded in 1869 and grew to be the largest mental hospital in Britain, and pioneered the use of electroencephalograms. During its time it had its own church, farms, railway, telephone exchange, post office, reservoirs, gas works, brewery, orchestra, brass band, ballroom and butchers. It closed in 1995 with a history of serious complaints of cruelty, ill-treatment and fraud in the hospital.

Whittingham Asylum
Whittingham Asylum
Whittingham Asylum
Whittingham Asylum
Whittingham Asylum
Whittingham Asylum
Whittingham Asylum
Whittingham Asylum
Whittingham Asylum
Whittingham Asylum
Whittingham Asylum
Whittingham Asylum
Whittingham Asylum
Whittingham Asylum
Whittingham Asylum
Whittingham Asylum

Crookham Court Manor Urbex

Crookham Court stands on the former site of Crookham manor house, built around the start of 14th century and destroyed in 1543, and subsequently Crookham House which was demolished around 1850.

Crookham Court Manor
Crookham Court Manor

The construction of the current building started around this time and continued in two more phases over the next fifty years.

Crookham Court Manor
Crookham Court Manor

It’s served several purposes such as a manor house, a junior school and a school for children of people serving at Greenham Common.

Crookham Court Manor
Crookham Court Manor

It was abandoned for some time after the US Air Force left the area and purchased in 1961 when it was used as a boarding school until 1990, after which point it was apparently used as apartments (although this isn’t too obvious from looking at the place) and has been abandoned since 2007.

Crookham Court Manor
Crookham Court Manor

In 1988 there was a well-publicised case of child abuse by several members of staff which was covered on Esther Rantzen’s show That’s Life.

Crookham Court Manor
Crookham Court Manor

This had apparently been going on for thirty years but it was only when the headmaster Mr. Gold joined the school in 1987 that it was discovered and reported.

Crookham Court Manor
Crookham Court Manor

Three were convicted, including the principal who was the owner of the building. Over twenty years later the teacher who had been set free was also convicted when another victim came forward; he has tried appealing but been denied.

Crookham Court Manor
Crookham Court Manor

Louise Margaret Hospital Urbex

The Louise Margaret Hospital was annexed to the CMH and cared for pre and post natal women and their babies. There was also a special care baby unit (SCBU).

Louise Margaret Hospital Urbex
Louise Margaret Hospital Urbex
Louise Margaret Hospital Urbex
Louise Margaret Hospital Urbex

The Louise Margaret Hospital opened in 1898 and its function was initially to care for the wives and children of servicemen.

Louise Margaret Hospital Urbex
Louise Margaret Hospital Urbex
Louise Margaret Hospital Urbex
Louise Margaret Hospital Urbex

It was named after Princess Louise Margaret, the Duchess of Connaught whose husband was the Duke of Connaught who was at the time the GOC of Aldershot Command.

Louise Margaret Hospital Urbex
Louise Margaret Hospital Urbex
Louise Margaret Hospital Urbex
Louise Margaret Hospital Urbex

Those who have visited the Louise Margaret Maternity Hospital may recall the narrow and shallow staircases. They were designed to allow nurses to run quickly up and down the stairs in their long nursing dresses.

Louise Margaret Hospital Urbex
Louise Margaret Hospital Urbex
Louise Margaret Hospital Urbex
Louise Margaret Hospital Urbex

The Louise Margaret Hospital continued to care for the spouses and children of the army until 1958 when its function and name changed to a maternity hospital.

Louise Margaret Hospital Urbex
Louise Margaret Hospital Urbex
Louise Margaret Hospital Urbex
Louise Margaret Hospital Urbex

The Louise Margaret Hospital closed on the 18 January 1995.

Louise Margaret Hospital Urbex
Louise Margaret Hospital Urbex
Louise Margaret Hospital Urbex
Louise Margaret Hospital Urbex
Louise Margaret Hospital Urbex
Louise Margaret Hospital Urbex
Louise Margaret Hospital Urbex
Louise Margaret Hospital Urbex
Louise Margaret Hospital Urbex
Louise Margaret Hospital Urbex
Louise Margaret Hospital Urbex
Louise Margaret Hospital Urbex

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...