The Royal Masonic School for Boys was an independent school for boys in England.
From 1798 charities were set up for clothing and educating sons of needy Freemasons. They originally provided education by sending them to schools near to their homes. A specific masonic boys’ school was set up at Wood Green in North London in 1857 following amalgamation of the charities in 1852.
A new school was built in Bushey, Hertfordshire in 1903 and a Junior School was added on the other side of The Avenue in 1929. By 1939 there were 800 boys at the school.Following a decline in pupil numbers the junior school closed in 1970; the site is now occupied by Bushey Academy. Numbers continued to fall, and the senior school closed in 1977. For a time, the buildings housed the United States International University (Europe). Both schools were commonly used for films (such as Monty Python’s The Meaning of Life, Lucky Jim (twice), Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and numerous TV shows) from the 1950s until recently. They have now been redeveloped as luxury housing.
Camelot Theme Park is an abandoned resort and theme park located in the English county of Lancashire. The park’s theme was the well known legend of Camelot, and the park decor incorporated pseudo medieval elements. It was located on a 140-acre (0.57 km2; 0.22 sq mi) site near the village of Charnock Richard, 3 miles (4.8 km) west of Chorley.
One of the rollercoasters can be seen from the M6 near the Charnock Richard Services. The site was owned by The Story Group, and was operated by Knights Leisure. The park featured many rides, taking a target audience of families and younger children, however the park also boasted numerous thrill rides and roller coasters, including Whirlwind (a Maurer Söhne spinning coaster), Knightmare and Excalibur.
The park was featured in a 1994 episode of Sooty & Co., in which presenter Matthew Corbett takes Sooty, Sweep and Soo there. During the season of 2012, Camelot suddenly announced that they would not be reopening for the season of 2013.
Please subscribe for more videos like this.
More information and hi-res photos at http://hdrphoto.co.uk
For years people living near the former 100-room convent in a quiet village have wondered what goes on behind the walls of the strange, Gothic building that was falling into disrepair.
Since 1992 it has been owned by a Muslim charity which in 2003 turned part of the building into an independent Muslim school for boys, the Jameah Islameah School that did little to integrate itself with the villagers.
A report by Ofsted inspectors sheds little light on the Jameah Islameah School, which is set within 54 acres of countryside. They found it had only nine pupils.
In 2003 or 2004 the school was allegedly used for an Islamic themed camping trip, at which hate preacher Omar Bakri Mohammed lectured.
Bakri would later claim the activities at the camp included lectures on Islam, football, and paintballing.
In September 2006 up to 100 anti-terror cops raided the school’s buildings and grounds. After arrests many cars were left behind in the grounds and the school was left abandoned.
Sussex Police held a cordon around the site for 24 days in an operation that cost more than one million pounds.
In 2007 a court heard that terror camp leader Atilla Ahmet sang a song with the lyrics “come Mr Taliban, come and bomb England” to pupils.
It was said that students sang the lyrics, which continued “before the daylight come, you wanna see 10 Downing Street done, Hey Mr Taliban, boom, boom, boom. Come bomb England. Allah willing, it will be done” with Ahmet to the tune of The Banana Boat Song.
In 2008 Ahmet was jailed for six years and 11 months after pleading guilty to three charges of soliciting to murder.
Buried in the pages of testimonies given by al-Qaeda suspects held at Guantanamo Bay are references to terror training camps held within the Jameah Islameah School’s grounds.
Please subscribe for more videos. More info and hi-res photos at http://hdrphoto.co.uk
Urban decay and peeling paint. The Cambridge Military Hospital opened its doors to patients in 1879. The name Cambridge came from His Royal Highness The Duke of Cambridge who was the Commander-in-Chief of the Army at the time. The hospital was built on a hill because current clinical thinking at the time thought that the wind would sweep away any infection and clean the air. The CMH was famed for its supposedly mile long corridor, with self contained wards and rooms branching off on either side.
It was hoped that this design would reduce cross infection. The Louise Margaret Hospital opened in 1898 and eventually changed its name and purpose in 1958 to become the Louise Margaret Maternity Hospital, caring solely for mothers and babies. The CMH was used throughout its years to house casualties from the majority of the wars this country has seen; from the first world war upto the first gulf war. The Cambridge Military Hospital closed down in 1996. Many factors were given as the reason for its closure; cost to maintain, efficiency and asbestos were among them.
Lillesden School for Girls occupies what used to be the Lillesden Estate Mansion, built at the estate (south of Hawkhurst) by the banker Edward Loyd, who co-founded the Loyd Entwistle & Co bank, which later became the District Bank and ultimately the National Westminster (Natwest). Loyd had Lillesden Mansion built after he married Caroline Louisa Foster on the 12th March 1846 at Ashton-on-Mersey. He bought the Lillesden estate at Hawkhurst, Kent in 1853 and built the mansion, finished in 1855.