Regarded as the most austere women’s orders of the Roman Catholic church, being devoted to prayer, penance, contemplation, manual work and adopting the strictest enclosure, severe fasts, and other austerities it also meant that they would never leave the convent once they have taken their vows to enter their days would be spent in prayer and working the land in order to provide for them selves a total life of silence and solitude with no contact with the outside world.
Crookham Court stands on the former site of Crookham manor house, built around the start of 14th century and destroyed in 1543, and subsequently Crookham House which was demolished around 1850.
The construction of the current building started around this time and continued in two more phases over the next fifty years.
It’s served several purposes such as a manor house, a junior school and a school for children of people serving at Greenham Common.
It was abandoned for some time after the US Air Force left the area and purchased in 1961 when it was used as a boarding school until 1990, after which point it was apparently used as apartments (although this isn’t too obvious from looking at the place) and has been abandoned since 2007.
In 1988 there was a well-publicised case of child abuse by several members of staff which was covered on Esther Rantzen’s show That’s Life.
This had apparently been going on for thirty years but it was only when the headmaster Mr. Gold joined the school in 1987 that it was discovered and reported.
Three were convicted, including the principal who was the owner of the building. Over twenty years later the teacher who had been set free was also convicted when another victim came forward; he has tried appealing but been denied.
The Louise Margaret Hospital was annexed to the CMH and cared for pre and post natal women and their babies. There was also a special care baby unit (SCBU).
The Louise Margaret Hospital opened in 1898 and its function was initially to care for the wives and children of servicemen.
It was named after Princess Louise Margaret, the Duchess of Connaught whose husband was the Duke of Connaught who was at the time the GOC of Aldershot Command.
Those who have visited the Louise Margaret Maternity Hospital may recall the narrow and shallow staircases. They were designed to allow nurses to run quickly up and down the stairs in their long nursing dresses.
The Louise Margaret Hospital continued to care for the spouses and children of the army until 1958 when its function and name changed to a maternity hospital.
The Louise Margaret Hospital closed on the 18 January 1995.
One of my favourite urbex locations in the UK the grand decayed staircase of the admin building at the Lincoln Lunatic Asylum. An interesting explore around the asylum but this is hands down the best shot to be found.