ue

Heavy Metal Belgium abandoned steel plant Urbex urban exploration

Heavy Metal Belgium abandoned steel plant.

The company inherited a steel industry with significant debts and production overcapacity based on blast furnace production rather than electric furnace recycling, with numerous factory sites in constrained city locations, and adversely affected by competition in the export market from new steel producing countries such as South Korea and Brasil. The need to streamline was complicated by regional dependence on employment by the steel industry.

The steel plant was supplied by rail using 130t capacity torpedo wagons. The plant had three LD converters, facilities for iron desulphurisation and vacuum treatment. Production is by continuous casting with a capacity of 3.5million tonnes per annum, the primary product is hot rolled steel coil up to 2m wide.

In October 2011 AM announced the closure of liquid steel (“hot phase”) at Heavy Metal, Part of the site is still live which includes a Hot rolling Mill which briefly stopped in from May to April 2009 due to the economic downturn caused by the financial crisis of 20072010.

The liquid steel buildings were closed in 2012 and the rest of the site hangs in the balance as of 2013.

Heavy Metal urbex Belgium
Heavy Metal urbex Belgium
Heavy Metal urbex Belgium
Heavy Metal urbex Belgium
Heavy Metal urbex Belgium
Heavy Metal urbex Belgium
Heavy Metal urbex Belgium
Heavy Metal urbex Belgium
Heavy Metal urbex Belgium
Heavy Metal urbex Belgium
Heavy Metal urbex Belgium
Heavy Metal urbex Belgium
Heavy Metal urbex Belgium
Heavy Metal urbex Belgium

Lillesden school for girls

Lillesden School for Girls occupies what used to be the Lillesden Estate Mansion, built at the estate (south of Hawkhurst) by the banker Edward Loyd, who co-founded the Loyd Entwistle & Co bank, which later became the District Bank and ultimately the National Westminster (Natwest). Loyd had Lillesden Mansion built after he married Caroline Louisa Foster on the 12th March 1846 at Ashton-on-Mersey. He bought the Lillesden estate at Hawkhurst, Kent in 1853 and built the mansion, finished in 1855.

Lillesden School for girls
Lillesden School for girls

Lillesden School for girls
Lillesden School for girls
Lillesden School for girls
Lillesden School for girls
Lillesden School for girls
Lillesden School for girls
Lillesden School for girls
Lillesden School for girls

Lillesden School for girls
Lillesden School for girls
Lillesden School for girls
Lillesden School for girls
Lillesden School for girls
Lillesden School for girls
Lillesden School for girls
Lillesden School for girls

Lillesden School for girls
Lillesden School for girls
Lillesden School for girls
Lillesden School for girls
Lillesden School for girls
Lillesden School for girls

Louise Margaret Hospital Urbex

The Louise Margaret Hospital was annexed to the CMH and cared for pre and post natal women and their babies. There was also a special care baby unit (SCBU).

Louise Margaret Hospital Urbex
Louise Margaret Hospital Urbex
Louise Margaret Hospital Urbex
Louise Margaret Hospital Urbex

The Louise Margaret Hospital opened in 1898 and its function was initially to care for the wives and children of servicemen.

Louise Margaret Hospital Urbex
Louise Margaret Hospital Urbex
Louise Margaret Hospital Urbex
Louise Margaret Hospital Urbex

It was named after Princess Louise Margaret, the Duchess of Connaught whose husband was the Duke of Connaught who was at the time the GOC of Aldershot Command.

Louise Margaret Hospital Urbex
Louise Margaret Hospital Urbex
Louise Margaret Hospital Urbex
Louise Margaret Hospital Urbex

Those who have visited the Louise Margaret Maternity Hospital may recall the narrow and shallow staircases. They were designed to allow nurses to run quickly up and down the stairs in their long nursing dresses.

Louise Margaret Hospital Urbex
Louise Margaret Hospital Urbex
Louise Margaret Hospital Urbex
Louise Margaret Hospital Urbex

The Louise Margaret Hospital continued to care for the spouses and children of the army until 1958 when its function and name changed to a maternity hospital.

Louise Margaret Hospital Urbex
Louise Margaret Hospital Urbex
Louise Margaret Hospital Urbex
Louise Margaret Hospital Urbex

The Louise Margaret Hospital closed on the 18 January 1995.

Louise Margaret Hospital Urbex
Louise Margaret Hospital Urbex
Louise Margaret Hospital Urbex
Louise Margaret Hospital Urbex
Louise Margaret Hospital Urbex
Louise Margaret Hospital Urbex
Louise Margaret Hospital Urbex
Louise Margaret Hospital Urbex
Louise Margaret Hospital Urbex
Louise Margaret Hospital Urbex
Louise Margaret Hospital Urbex
Louise Margaret Hospital Urbex